If you work in the HVAC sector, during heatwave periods you should advise your family and friends as follows:
Reduce to the maximum, sources of heat input to the building
- Close the windows, curtains, blinds and shutters during the day, particularly on the side exposed to the sun.
- Open the windows and shutters at night.
- Limit the use of electrical equipment such as lighting, electric hot-plates, ovens, televisions, computers etc.
- Install low energy consumption light bulbs.
Reduce the quantity of heat to be evacuated by the organism
- Limit physical activity, rest up
- Avoid food which is too rich
Help the organism evacuate its heat
- Live in the room which is the least exposed to sunlight, close the communicating doors to exposed rooms
- Dress in light clothes
- Drink a lot (liquid evaporation helps to evacuate heat)
- Air the room or use a fan (even if the room temperature is higher than skin temperature, fans help to evacuate sweat and therefore produce a cooling effect)
- Use a water spray to dampen the skin, or other means; a shower etc.
- If the type of flooring is appropriate, and slipping can be avoided, dampen the floor and the curtains, the wall coverings etc..
- Only go out in the evenings, or stay in air conditioned rooms; avoid crowded non air conditioned places.